Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Stormy Tale, Microbursting with Local Flavor

Well, where were we before this N'oreaster interrupted our power for over 24 hours, and I was working so much? ~PB

On Thursday I had a client I couldn't fit into the schedule, so we agreed to meet on Friday afternoon, despite the storm. She was on her way home from work. I didn't mind going out in the storm, I had on layers, light down and a raincoat, along with rain pants I bought for biking, and a sturdy umbrella. I recall musing how boring the storm was, nothing to take photos of, since the big news was the flooding on the coast. But by the time I walked home a few hours later, all hell had broken loose in
my neighborhood, 6 miles inland from downtown Boston. This is part of my 2-block commute to work:  St. John Street between Centre and Rockview, Jamaica Plain (Boston). #AnotherDayInNewEngland  #DontLikeTheWeatherWaitAMinute 
Image may contain: car and outdoor
Image may contain: car and outdoor
Power pole toppled over, breaking a tree across the street,
pulling down telephone wires.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor
The cop told us (me and a gal going in the same direction) we could
walk through the center to get home, as the wires were not live.
Then we got yelled at by a utility guy that said the wires were live!
.
.
Meanwhile, down the street...
Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree and outdoor
Image may contain: outdoor
Image may contain: car, house and outdoor
Trees and wires down... I had to step over a small hanging live wire
in the front yard here to get home, as the street and sidewalk were
full of live wires on the ground. Well, I could have gone the long way
around the block...but what's the fun in that?



Image may contain: outdoor
I swear, by some miracle, this car was barely scratched!


Image may contain: house, tree, plant, sky and outdoor
Me cutting through the yard...jumping live wires. :D


Image may contain: outdoor
Its a hot mess of tree limbs and wires. Some people were caught
between the 2 areas of destruction and couldn't get their cars out.
The power didn't even go out from the tree falling, they just cut it
after I got home due to the danger of live wires. My phone died shortly
after the  power went out. I went to bed early and strangely, was able
able to sleep a lot. Probably easier to do with no wi-fi bombardment.
It was so quiet, except for the lashing rain and howling winds!
.
.
What a difference a day makes! 24 little hours...
Image may contain: one or more people, sky, tree and outdoor
Poor tree. On my way to see a client at my massage studio 2 blocks away,
I had marveled at the perfect shape of this tree, now injured. :(



Image may contain: house and outdoor
They brought the Big Dogs out..about 8 or 10  utility trucks!


Image may contain: tree and outdoor
I prefer to hug trees, but hey, he's a guy!


Image may contain: outdoor
They did a good job of getting debris out of the street,
but there were still lots of low hanging wires!


Image may contain: one or more people, house, tree and outdoor
Across the street. Free firewood!
Image may contain: one or more people, car, house and outdoor
Nothing but Utility trucks, Comcast/Xfinity vans and marked or
unmarked Po-po, who  generally ignored pedestrians.
Image may contain: one or more people, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, bedroom and indoor
Home Sweet Home. Sunlight AND power! Yay! I celebrated
with a steak and wine....
Image may contain: food
Who knew that by watching 9-yr-olds cook Filet Mignon on #MasterChefJr, I would pick up enough tips to perfect my Rib-eye Steak (my favorite cut...this is only half of it) beyond expectations? Garlicky sauteed mushrooms and my favorite veggie: 4-minute steamed broccoli #workhardeatwell #protein #thankyouandblessyoubeastie #lifeforceenergy #grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment