Saturday, March 29, 2014

My response to the article “Data Mining Reveals How Conspiracy Theories Emerge on Facebook”

[Original Post on March 20, 2014]

Image
[During his run for President, his man lied every chance he got, 
and social media spread his lies like wildfire.]

The article: 


Data Mining Reveals How Conspiracy Theories Emerge on Facebook


My response:
Great article.  I do know for a fact that some of the things I once believed turned out not to be true, but were certainly plausible, considering the extenuating circumstances. Similarly, as mentioned in the article, I believe some conspiracy theories “may well be truths that have been deliberately suppressed by higher powers such as governments, corporations and so on.” Yet we seem to have a media blackout in the US, where certain types of news stories are seldom if ever headline mainstream news, and can only be found on line. Meanwhile those same stories are being broadcast in mainstream news in other countries. Or maybe my whole perspective is a conspiracy theory.

More likely we are bombarded with a constant and confusing array of “news” or at least information that is “disinformation”, which is not flat-out lies but truths artfully blended with a generous smattering of lies, leaving one perplexed, unable to detect truth or b.s. because our inner compass detects both. Plus we tend to want to believe what supports our own version of the “truth”.

Fortunately I don’t get my conspiracy theory items from FB, as I have trusted sources I am more comfortable with, or I  try to flush out the original source, if I can, and see if it resonates with me. I’m also not out to debate theories, I simply offer information to be considered with an open mind. And an open mind generally will adapt its perspective when new reliable information comes to light. (Ah, but who determines what is reliable? It is all subjective, this “reality” that brings no consensus). I think the only thing we know for sure is that none of us know it all.

I’m hoping that when we cross over, we will finally have all our unanswered questions resolved. I, for one, am dying to know where all those dryer socks end up! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment